Thursday, September 2, 2010

How Did I Get Here?

For the fist time in roughly 20 years I'm sitting in a classroom again as a student.  I've been in my children's classrooms conferencing, my teacher wife's classroom, helping move things around, and as a sub-custodian for a school district cleaning up the creative and natural little messes made by our youth.  Now, however, I must retain mass quantities of material, which I've been marginally interested in in the past and currently feel I must know to no longer empty mass quantities of garbage.   I do realize I chose this path and am excited about the prospect of being able to create my own web pages however, there exists a certain level of anxiety.  Time will tell.  I've barely cracked the textbook so I can't get to panicked.

I'm not working full-time right now and haven't for about a year.  When I did work, it was 40+ hours a week in a cubicle.  The prospect of designing websites from home is VERY appealing.  I am Mr. Mom right now, watching my two year old son and loving it.  We play, laugh and sleep.  Usually while he sleeps I'm online job hunting to bring in the bread that will allow us to pay tuition and hopefully, plan for something.  Perhaps a trip, an addition, etc.  Therefore, I am here because I've got experience in creating graphics for web pages, I've worked in Flash and other web related software and feel this road is the natural next step in my professional experience.


http://www.dchiang.com/dchiang_flash.html

This is a site I haven't been to in a while but when selecting three sites to list, this was the first that came to mind.  Like many of my age, I grew up with the Star Wars franchise.  I was obsessed as a kid but later, my appreciation for the series grew to focus on the concept art that made the series look the way it does.  Doug is a very talented artist who worked on the second series of Star Wars films.  He, himself was inspired by another artist, Ralph Mcquarrie.  Ralph was the original artist to work on the Star Wars films.  The site itself inspires me because of its mechanical look and flashy roll overs and interactivity.


http://www.ralphmcquarrie.com/index.html

Now, I realize that having 2/3rds of my top three site selections based on Star Wars makes me seem a bit silly, childish, and have fun filling in your own adjectives but Ralph is a very talented artist.  His designs, especially the ones NOT chosen for the series, I find very dramatic and much more visually dynamic than the route Lucas chose.  The site does not have the personality Doug's has but I am inspired by Ralph's work and therefore enjoy the sites content a great deal.


http://www.venish.com/

My professional and educational background is largely video production based.  My most recent work experience began in video production but the bandwidth it soaked up was a little too much for the client. I then needed to focus on the other portion of the job description which was as graphic artist to survive in that company.  So, for eight of the ten years I was employed there I took still photos and developed graphics for interative multimedia.  Thanks to the economy, I was downsized and left to create my first graphics portfolio.  Googling portfolios, this site was the first I selected and I was impressed by its subtlety in design, color selection, and the man's style of design.  I had this in mind when I created my online portfolio.  I don't know if it is evident but that is where I was coming from.


Ultimately I plan to master my inhibitions about learning code and, at some point in the hopefully near future, add the sites I've created, similar in the level of creativity as the above listed sites, to my portfolio, http://www.ddavidkerr.com/.

See what I did there?

No comments:

Post a Comment